Pediatric Dose Calculator
From OfficePracticum Help
The Pediatric Dose Calculator is built into the e-Prescription form, and automatically calculates dosage amounts of liquid medications.
 Activating the Pediatric Dose Calculator
- Open the Complete Medication List.
- Click the Add Rx button to open a new prescription.
- Click the next to the Purpose field and select Med - to dispense from the drop-down menu.
- Click the button to the right of the Drug Name field to access the Medication Finder screen, and choose the formulation of medication you are ordering.
- After you have chosen a medication, if it is a pediatric suspension, click the "Liquid" radio button next to Sig: to activate the dose calculator. This is done automatically when choosing a medicine from the RCopia database.
- Fill in the fields for mg/kg/day and number of doses per day. The patient's most recent weight is displayed at the top of the form. You can also enter a current weight and click the Refresh icon on the right and the exact dosage will be displayed.
- The dose calculator will display the exact dosage and the amount of medication needed. You can round this number up for the pharmacist.
- Read the prescription carefully to double-check it, then click the Save button.
NOTE: If you have started to write a free-text prescription and want to activate the dose calculator, choose Med - to dispense from the drop-down menu at the top of the prescription pad, then click the button next to the Drug Name field to find the medication strength.
 Using the Pediatric Dose Calculator
As of Version 1780 release 1 build 3, the liquid medication favorites automatically default to the liquid dose calculator format.
- If a signature line was entered under the freeform format and saved as a favorite for a liquid med, this information will pass to the script, but will give you the option to use the dose calculator to overwrite the sig line. In other words, though there is a signature listed for the drug, when you apply it, the liquid dose calculator will automatically come up. You can choose to ignore it and save the script as is, or you can enter a mg/kg which will calculate the dose for the child's weight.
- To use the dose calculator,
- You will need a drug with the concentration listed in the drug name line, such as Zithromax 100 mg/ 5mL.
- The child's most current weight will auto-populate the lbs/ kg fields.
- You will need to add the correct dose (mg/kg) for the child's age and diagnosis, as well as the doses/day. Keep in mind that our new version supplies you with a direct link to the Lexi-comp database where you can search drug names and dosing.
- The dose calculator then fills in the unit dose, days and the quantity to dispense. Your signature line will be filled in accordingly.
- Here is a sample calculation for a 15 kg child prescribed Zithromx 100mg/ 5mL at a 10 mg/kg dose/ 1 day for 5 days:
15 kg* 10 mg/kg * 5mL/ 100mg= 7.5 mL unit dose
NOTE: You may edit the signature line at this point (to adjust the unit dose if it is an odd number, like changing 0.87mL to 1 mL). This will not cause any problems.
- Keep in mind that you should NOT add these to your favorites because the unit dose and sig line are going to vary with the patient's weight. You can however save the drug name with concentration and the dose (mg/kg) with doses/day as a favorite. Just be sure that the weight is not included.